Each year, the world’s top qualifying Olympian bodybuilders take to the stage to compete for the chance to become the next Mr. Olympia Champion. So what is the prize for winning such a competition? The Sandow Championship Trophy, which has only been awarded to 13 legendary men.
Earlier this week, a Mr. Olympia Sandow Championship Trophy was listed for sale on eBay for a cool $9,999.99. The post garnered media attention from online bodybuilding publications, all wondering if the statue was authentic, and if so, which original owner had decided to place his very own piece of history up for sale?
The seller, who remains anonymous, has a bevy of high-price collectors items for sale, including a 1983 NFL Washington Redskins Championship Super Bowl Ring (on sale for $11,999.99) plus several Antique Monogram Luis Vuitton Trunk Suitcases (twelve pieces for a whopping $115,000.00). Whoever the seller is, they were able to sell his/her Sandow for the full asking price in under 24 hours.
Over the past several years, there have been very few Sandow Championship Trophies for sale… and Physique Bodyware happens to be one of the proud owners of one! For rental availability and historic details please visit our webpage.
Created by Joe Weider, the Mr. Olympia competition made its debut at the Brooklyn Academy of Music in 1965, and since it’s inception, the names listed below are the only champions to date to be awarded a Sandow.
- Larry Scott, aka The Golden Boy – 1965, 1966
- Sergio Oliva, aka The Myth – 1967, 1968, 1969
- Arnold Schwarzenegger, aka The Austrian Oak – 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1975, 1980
- Franco Calumbu, aka The Sardinian Strongman – 1976, 1981
- Frank Zane, aka The Chemist – 1977, 1978, 1979
- Chris Dickerson, aka Mr. Symmetry – 1982
- Samir Bannout, aka The Lion of Lebanon – 1983
- Lee Haney, aka Total-Lee Awesome – 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991
- Dorian Yates, aka The Shadow – 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997
- Ronnie Coleman – 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005
- Jay Cutler – 2006, 2007, 2009, 2010
- Dexter Jackson, aka The Blade – 2008
- Phil Heath, aka The Gift – 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
Which legendary bodybuilder do you think put their iconic piece of history up for sale?
Your guess is as good as ours…
For more information on the history of the Sandow, please visit PhysiqueBodywareUSA.com.
Check out Physique Bodyware for the best in fitness clothing and workout apparel.
Written by Lina G. DeForca